At St Joseph’s we believe that children need a rich and balanced education whereby a range of learning opportunities are implemented and embedded. Digital technologies support our authentic and engaging learning environment. We acknowledge that ‘point of need’ access to IT devices creates new learning and teaching possibilities, enhances creativity, raises the level of engagement and gives students voice and choice in the way they express their knowledge and understandings. As children progress through the grades, becoming more competent and discerning with the use of devices we increase the level of access.
By offering the option to parents of students in years 4-6 to provide their child with an iPad for use at school we increase access to all devices across the whole school. iPads are one form of digital technology that are easy to manage and portable for primary students.
Our teachers engage in professional learning about the effective use of iPads and other technology through the Apple Educator program and other programs offered by the CSO. We use the Apple Classroom Management tool for teachers to have more control of the iPads while in class.
At St Joseph’s the specifications of the iPad required for our “iPads for Learning – BYODD” program are:
- iPad 6th Generation 32GB WiFi-only – Consider buying an iPad with 128GB of storage
- Sturdy case with protection for corners and the screen. We recommend: Logitech Slim Folio Case, Griffin Survivor cases, OtterBox cases or any case with a hardened plastic shell. Consider a case with a keyboard. Smart Covers are not recommended
- Warranty Extension – AppleCare Protection+ Highly recommended
- Repair / replacement warranty extending by an additional year (to 2 years)
- 2 x Accidental Damage claims while AppleCare is active
- Wi-Fi+Cellulur models. If bought, a SIM card must be removed before device comes to school. 4G services will bypass security of school network
- Applications – You will require an Apple ID to be set up. Please consider setting up a Family Sharing account from an adult’s account
- Training – Apple Stores hold events/sessions in store for parents